- Charlotte's Web, by E. B. White
- The Chronicles of Narnia, by C. S. Lewis (particularly The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe)
- The Little Prince, by Antoine Saint-Exupery
- Harry Potter, by J. K. Rowling (these are waiting patiently on the bookshelves for the boys to grow up a bit... as they are 2 and 7 months respectively) As an aside, I didn't read these as a child (obviously) but cannot wait to read these with the boys.
- James and the Giant Peach, by Raold Dahl
- Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
- Where the Wild Things Are, by Maurice Sendak (we do actually have this one already - it had a serious run for a few weeks in our house where we read it about 10 times a day... I'm including it on the list because it was seriously one of my favourites)
- The Velveteen Rabit
- Alice in Wonderland
I found these books to be so magical - and they were no doubt responsible for kick starting a life-long love of reading (particularly fantasy and sci-fi genres).
I am really looking forward to re-reading these books and rediscovering the magic with my boys!
Any other suggestions? What were your favourites as a child?