Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Books I loved as a child (and can't wait to read to my boys!)

Okay, here they are in no particular order:
  1. Charlotte's Web, by E. B. White
  2. The Chronicles of Narnia, by C. S. Lewis  (particularly The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe)
  3. The Little Prince, by Antoine Saint-Exupery
  4. Harry Potter, by J. K. Rowling (these are waiting patiently on the bookshelves for the boys to grow up a bit... as they are 2 and 7 months respectively)  As an aside, I didn't read these as a child (obviously) but cannot wait to read these with the boys.
  5. James and the Giant Peach, by Raold Dahl
  6. Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
  7. Where the Wild Things Are, by Maurice Sendak  (we do actually have this one already - it had a serious run for a few weeks in our house where we read it about 10 times a day... I'm including it on the list because it was seriously one of my favourites)
  8. The Velveteen Rabit
  9. Alice in Wonderland

I found these books to be so magical - and they were no doubt responsible for kick starting a life-long love of reading (particularly fantasy and sci-fi genres).

I am really looking forward to re-reading these books and rediscovering the magic with my boys!

Any other suggestions?  What were your favourites as a child?

No comments: